Saturday, July 31, 2010

Whitehorse to Dawson City

Darlene at Miles Canyon
July 25th - 27th - Whitehorse -Yukon

The last few days have been wonderful. On the morning of the 26th we hike the 15 km trail looping around Miles Canyon and Schwatka Lake. Although there must be a number of people around, we rarely see anyone. The trail hugs the edge of the canyon for a couple of miles before heading inland and then back to the edge of the lake. The half-way point is the immense wooden fish ladder, but we are a couple of weeks too early for salmon. If The Top of the World Highway is still closed when we finish up in Dawson City we have another look when we return.
First paddle in kayak
On Tuesday we dig out the kayak and take it for its inaugural run on Chadburn Lake. Although we’re a bit slow getting it into the water, we’re very happy with it - strong and stable! And the loons! Nine of them fishing together! Out in the lake one pops up about ten feet from us and remains there, pruning himself and occasionally checking us out with his ruby red eyes. ( And because this is our first time out in the boat I don’t have a camera with me.)
In the afternoon we get an oil change for the truck at the only Ford dealer in the Yukon. In one of the art stores we discover a spindle-candle from Don and Carol Morrison’s Trading Co.

July 28th - Tatchun Creek - Yukon

Mom's Bakery
Dar "on the marge..."
We leave Whitehorse, heading for Dawson City on the Klondike Highway but we’ll dawdle, taking our time and stretching out a six hour drive to two days. Almost immediately we make a side trip to Lake Leberge. We stop at Mom’s Bakery - almosthidden by trees on a dirt road -  where I pick up a monster cinnamon bun to eat after I read “The Cremation of Sam McGee” to Darlene “on the marge”. And I’m tickled by the fact that I’m reading “Tales of a Sourdough” as an ebook which I’ve downloaded onto Dar’s reader.
I love this piano!
We camp tonight in one of the Yukon’s small parks, right beside the water, and I finally get a chance to pull out the piano and get some practising done. (Lots has been lost in the last four weeks - much work to do.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ian and Darlene,
I am a happy follower of your blog. I am GREEN with envy - the pictures and experiences you are having make me want to head north too!

I will likely share your issues around parking your rig. This Sunday we are on our way to England, Wales and Scotland. Generally I drive and Ian navigates...I hope to get the hang of driving and parking on the left quickly!!!! Sadly, I am sure I have many embarrassing moments to come.

I am curious about what piano music you are working on … any wildlife responses to your tunes?

Wishing you continued happy and safe travels
Jane

Anonymous said...

Hey you two thanks for sharing the wonderful adventures and pics.....sounds wonderful and the time together just you two.....priceless. Happy, safe trails. Hugs Lis and Dennis